Monday, April 04, 2005

Death be not Proud

It occured to me that I've talked a fair amount about death in this blog. I don't want anyone reading to think I am morbid or fixated, but I believe our fear of death keeps us from acknowledging a vital part of our existence...keeps us from really living!

There was a time when death was a very intimate part of everyone's life. When people saw death regularly and learned from those experiencing it. Today, we keep death as far removed from our lives as we can...we try to deny the truth of death. Those who are dying are separated (quarantined) from the rest of society. It seems to me that everyone loses here...the dying are left alone at a time when the love of family, friends, and community is important to their peaceful transition...the living are left without closure or the ability to learn from those who are experiencing what lies ahead for all of us.

I remember the last day of my Father's life. I was called home from work and spent the afternoon before he died in his room with him. My father and I had more than our fair share of issues and I will always be grateful for that final time together. I read to him...he was a sports fanatic and I read about the Superbowl that had been played two days before...although nothing was discussed openly, I felt a great peace settle between us.

How different that afternoon would have been if I had been older! I felt then that there were so many things that I just shouldn't say...BULLSHIT...If I were with him today, I would ask, "Are you afraid? Do you feel ready for what's coming? What are you thinking/feeling? Can I help?" ...We treat death as an impolite topic of discussion, even amongst the dying??! Don't we think they care?! That they might want to talk about it?!..... I want to go to a hospital and talk to dying people. I want to tell them that I care about them ... and hear what they have to say about what they're experiencing... to let them know there is someone to listen.

As regards my being morbid...I am not afraid of death anymore and I'm sure as hell gonna live every moment while I'm here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home