Thursday, December 01, 2005

A Good Meal

I have been working far from home, but have been enjoying time with colleagues and have been drinking in the beauty and simplicity of this ancient island.

Last night, an engineer from New Delhi took us all to an Indian restaurant for food, conversation, and good local wine. As the meal was finished and we all sat drinking and talking, it struck me how much I was enjoying the company and the moment! Most of the cultures of the world sat around the table and yet we were all sharing in our common humanity…in the light that shines within us.

It struck me that the evils done in this world are done in a mostly impersonal manner…how much easier to kill and abuse those whom you don’t know or acknowledge as individuals. I looked about me and realized that I could never bear any malice to any of those with whom I shared this time…I felt a general feeling of good will and love. Briefly, I considered that if we all truly knew each other we would be able to overcome so many of the evils in this world.

I quickly decided that this idea was very naïve and began, in my somewhat inebriated state, to come to grips with why the idea was a bad one. I landed upon a belief that I’ve recounted here before – That there are people in this world that do not have the light of truth and love within them. I have met people such as these and it is easy to see that they have no love for themselves or for any others. These people strive for power, but don’t realize that it will never fill their emptiness. In their search they cause purposeful hurt to others. To the extent that these empty people gain the power they seek, their maliciousness leads to greater and greater pain and suffering for others. When they rule, they spark murder, war, and genocide. I sometimes find myself feeling sorry for these people as they will always be empty and are doomed never to know truth and love (the real power that they seek). Unfortunately, I have no more power to help the empty ones than I have to completely stop them from hurting others.

I still came away from the dinner feeling very happy. There are so many more people with the light of love and truth within them than there are with empty souls. In their hearts, most people shelter love and compassion. This is where my God lives and I find him wherever I go…how nice to have a nice dinner with him and to share good wine and conversation!!

It’s amazing to me that there is so much love in so many of us that the supply is endless. Take as much as you can…give even more…it never runs out! It is good that in this cold and lonely place that God surrounds us in the hearts of those that share our path.


Best! Norm.

1 Comments:

At 4:40 AM, Blogger Nesrina said...

Beautiful post, very expressive and touching, I do feel sorry too for the people that you described as they will always be empty.
Because love is a very strong feeling it comes from the heart and once it's there it's automatically granted to everyone around. it's not conditional waiting for someone in specific to appear … it’s flowing all the time, offering the people that we know different amounts or let’s say dose according to how close they are… and how full they are of love too.
Anyways, it’s really nice that you enjoyed the meal and even nicer that it made you write .
Nesreen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home