Thursday, June 29, 2006

How Long to Hate



My travels have taken me to Japan. My daughter is with me on this trip and we are both enjoying the country very much. The Japanese are extremely polite and clean and it is easy for one to believe that this is a culture worth emulating; that the peace and serenity that surrounds here is a good direction given the troubles that plague the world…still I know that all is not what it seems.

I mentioned to my Mother how much we were enjoying Japan and she politely stated that she was glad that we were enjoying our trip but that she would rather not hear or think of the Japanese. My father fought in the South Pacific during WWII and in fact had his ship sunk by a Kamikaze Pilot. I am aware of the atrocities that were committed by the Japanese military during the 1930’s and 40’s. Indeed, some of those who I work with are Chinese and there was much discussion during our meetings of the “Rape of Nanking” and of the unwillingness of the Japanese to acknowledge their crimes or apologize to the victims. Even the Germans have done this and surely the evil of the Japanese was just as bad as what I recently witnessed at Auschwitz. So I ask myself a question…How long do we hate? How long before we forgive and move on?

Surely those responsible for these crimes must be removed from society, but do their sins necessarily transfer to their children? To their grandchildren?

My country was torn apart by a brutal Civil War 145 years ago. A generation of young men was lost and the hatreds that were generated were as deep and dangerous as any that has been born in this world. To our great benefit, the leaders of both sides found a way to move on from the killing and to give the country a path to reconciliation. The good will of Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, and Ulysses Grant likely saved my country from the ongoing violence and hatred that plague so much of the world today; that continue without end in Palestine and Israel.

Humans have been evil to one another for all of history, but I fear that we honor their evil when we continue to hate when those who are worthy of hating are long dead and beyond our grasp. I understand the anger at injustice, but there must be a time when we move on. Those who claim that they need apologies for acts of injustice committed 100 or more years ago distress me. I think that these people do their ancestors no honor and only extend the reach of those who perpetrated these evils so long ago. We all have real problems to address and the fact that so many carry baggage with them of slights that have been done so long ago as not to really matter frustrate me in the extreme. I am tempted to use that particularly American retort, “Get a Life!”.

Best! Norm.

8 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Nesrina said...

I have read your post many times, but I think it has had a new meaning to me since the war has started in Lebanon ...
I am so confused and I find myself angry, I can't hate anyone based on what his father or grandfather has done but when u find him on the same track it just hurts...

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Norm Shaw said...

Nesrina,

I agree and can understand your anger and hurt, especially with what is going on now. The people who are causing this are exactly the ones who need to let go of their hate. I don't think that will happen in this world, unfortunately.

I believe that those of us that keep the hate from our hearts will find a better place than this.

My love and concern go with you...

Norm.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger doshar said...

to forgive and forget an agression... that aggression has to end first, right?

that is the problem in palestine... they were never righted. their nation has been stripped away from them and now they have no nation! how can they forgive and forget? when you are ok, you can forgive... if you are oppressed and treated inhumanely... forgiveness is a luxury that you can not give.

would you be able to forgive the japanese if they were still bombing you? if they had taken over the US and told you " it is our promised land)...?

it is not that we harbour old grudges... it has never stopped. Israel territory today was ALL Palestine before 1948. The UN decided to give most of it to the jews, but no one asked the palestinians.. and they were displaced from their homes, alot of those displaced are still alive today, still have the keys to their old homes... where now they can not go. and even when they tried for peace.. they were never given a fair deal.

I really think that alot of american people honestly do not know the real history of the region. wish they would.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Norm Shaw said...

Doshar,

I can understand your anger and frustration at the current situation in the region. Also, I could not agree with you more that the 1948 decision by the United Nations was both cowardly and a crime. The Jews had been European and yet the French et. al. gave them Palestine (not part of France or Europe, where they had been living). That said...I don't see what is currently happening as being at all beneficial to the Palestinians or their cause. I believe that (at this time) an independent Palestine is probably the best hope for all (as Isreal will not be overthrown). The chance for this would have been during the 1967 war, which was lost.

As regards the fact that homes were taken and citizens were treated inhumanely, I agree that this is criminal behaviour but don't believe that the response currently being pusued is either right or probable of success. In my family's history, we have suffered this same crime twice. The first time was 400 years ago when our land in Ireland was taken by the British. The Catholics of Ireland were starved and treated every bit as badly as the Palestinians are now. They fought with terrorist tactics (the IRA) for decades and had no success (except many innocent people on both sides were killed). In the last few years, the IRA and Sinn Fein have worked politically and have gained some autonomy in governing North Ireland. I hope that this path continues and that Ireland is reunited. The second time my family's home was taken was 140 years ago. That was when the Yankees from the North took my Family's home in North Carolina during the American Civil War. My Great-Great Grandfather fought in that war and lost everthing....his home, his livelihood, all his possessions. It has taken my family the last 140 years to build ourselves back up. After the American Civil War, there was no Guerilla warfare and althought the South was oppressed and mistreated for about 20 years, the region recovered and is now very prosperous. I can't see where killing Yankees would have made our lives any better or brought back what we'd lost.

I hope the Isrealis pull their troops out of Lebanon...I hope that a free and independent Palestine is established...I wish Isreal had never been created...But whatever I hope and believe, and whatever side they fight on, I will not condone the killing of innocents for any cause. Killing soldiers for a cause is justified, killing civilians on their way to school or work is not.

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time for me to read your blog but I can see you take a very resonable and humane view of life. It's very refreshing to see people not just learn from their own mistakes but apply the mistakes of others to the world around them.
Thank you

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Nesrina said...

Dear Norm,
It has been a long time since this post.
Hope everything is alright with you.
Missed your wonderful writings.

Nesreen

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home