Friday, January 13, 2006

Austin City Limits

The title of this post is the name of a TV series that carries live music from Austin, Texas. I have been watching the show for the last twenty years; they cover some terrific and eclectic performers. I have been introduced to some great music on “Austin City Limits”.

What follows are some random thoughts from Austin

…This is a great place to be if you’re hungry! The Beef BBQ and Tex/Mex that they have here is like nothing else I’ve ever had. If you get the chance, the Iron Works is the place for BBQ! They have the typical signatures from famous fans of their food. Among these is a signed testimonial from President Bush (apparently he ate here a lot when he was Governor of Texas – the Capitol is only a few blocks away). The place is very rustic, with a rough wood floor and a pot-belly stove in the middle of the dining area. I’m partial to pork barbeque, being form the Southeast, but I went with the beef since I was in Texas. The spare rib was as big as my forearm and it was incredible! They had a spicy sauce and I downed it all with Lone Star beer. Chuy’s is the spot for Tex/Mex…This is where the Bush daughters got busted for drinking. The place has a tacky “Elvis” theme and it was a lot of fun! They had hot chips and we got something called “Chuy Goouie” to go with them (it’s like Con Quesa, but with ground beef, Jalapeno, and other stuff thrown in). They had every kind of Enchilada known and we ate until we couldn’t move! Then we danced until we were ready to pass out.

…This is a college town. Everyone seems to be about twenty and is outside…kayaking on the river…jogging on the river-front trails…clubbing at the bars…catching the live music. The University of Texas “Longhorns” won the National College Football Championship the week before I got here and the place is still celebrating. Everyone is wearing burnt-orange and they all seem to be on a perpetual high.

…did I mention the live music??! WOW, we went out on our first night here and caught three of the best Blues bands I have ever heard at little 30 seat clubs. I listened to the band Nickel Creek doing songs from their new CD at another club. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a city this small with such a great live music scene. You can see bands here that are as good as anything you’ll get in New York or LA.

…if there’s one drawback, it’s the lack of scenery. This part of Texas looks like some of the rural parts of Florida, where I grew up. I think they call it Chaparral out here, but the terrain is flat and the heat keeps the trees from being the deep green that I’m used to in Pennsylvania. I know people who love the beauty of the desert or the coast, but I don’t think I could ever live too far away from the forested mountains of New England.

I could never live in Austin, or any part of Texas, but I understand why they are so proud of their home and I am always happy to come back here to visit. Texas is FUN if nothing else. If you get a chance, do yourself a favor and come out here…bring your appetite.

Best! Norm.

2 Comments:

At 3:40 AM, Blogger Nesrina said...

Hi Norm,
Hope everything is well.
It has been a long time since you posted anything.

All the best,
Nesreen

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Norm Shaw said...

Nesreen,

You are right that I have been remiss in my writing. My travel schedule has been very heavy, but I have a few posts that I need to get up. I am off to China tomorrow and will get some posts in line and on the blog by the forst of next week...Very nice to hear from you and I hope all is well wher you are. I haven't logged in for a while and need to catch up with your writing as well! Best! Norm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home