Monday, March 14, 2005

The Talisman

There's not many material things that carry much weight with me anymore... I'm not perfect, but I'm no longer as into "stuff" as I used to be. I doubt I could part with my books, but I think I'd do fine losing just about everything else. There is, however, one thing that would devastate me if it ever went missing. It has no real monetary value ... it's just a little silver coin with a Celtic cross on one side and the word "Faith" on the other. This coin has become my Talisman. It was given to me by the love of my life ... she was trying to bring faith into the heart of a sceptic scientist. I carry the coin with me always and say a quick prayer over it every morning... A prayer of thanks for the wonderful things that I've been given in this life and a prayer that she be kept safe and happy until I see her again.

Sometimes physical things can bring us closer to people (or to God); I guess this explains why lifetimes were spent building cathedrals and pyramids. While I appreciate the artistry and work that went into these places, I'm not moved in a spiritual way by them. I always thought this was because of my lack of faith, but now feel that it was because these places were not my Talisman. They meant something to those who built them and prayed in them, they helped them get closer to their God... I have found other Talisman and other ways to connect to the light within me. I hope someday do be able to find my spiritual center without the props. I hope to be able to escape like the Buddhist monks, who can connect with their true selves through meditation. I will continue to try to grow in my faith and connect myself more with the spiritual and less with the material, but I still need to lean on the things that help me make this connection. Spring is coming and I'm ready for a long walk in the woods (several days worth). I'm ready to spend time with REAL people, who I love and who love me... Still, I'm not quite ready to remove the training wheels ... and I'm not letting go of my little coin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home