Sunday, August 07, 2005

Real Live Bleeding Fingers

I find myself in an interesting place. Music has always been very important to me. I listen for the nuances and I lose myself in the space filled with the magic that the song carries. And yet, I am a scientist…and engineer; I followed a life in technology because I was far too logical to follow my heart…to pursue music and writing, which were always my loves.

I suspect that I am suffering some mid-life crisis, but I find myself… very late…chasing my dreams. I have begun this blog to stretch my legs a little as a writer and I’ve done something else. I bought an acoustic guitar.

When I was growing up, I played the drums. I’ve always felt that decision as one of those stupid things we do when we’re young and regret ever after. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed playing the drums. The problem is, the drums are rhythmic, not musical…I never learned to read music and couldn’t really do too much without another instrument there. It has been sort of frustrating for me to watch my family pluck around on their various instruments (saxophone, piano, trumpet) and to have no way to express myself musically.

Anyway, I find my guitar to be great company and am spending every spare minute with it. In a very short time, I’ve learned to play my cords competently and am looking forward to beginning to put together songs very soon.

I went to see Lucinda Williams play on Thursday night. She’s a haunting writer and singer and her show was a wonderful inspiration to me right at this time. In one of her more hard edge-tunes, she describes a guitar player with the line, “real live bleeding fingers and broken guitar strings.” I can relate…I haven’t felt the finger tips on my left hand for the past week.

Is this a fad…a mid-life crisis? I’m sure my family thinks so, but I haven’t felt this good about something that I’ve done for a very long time. Any of you who know me know that I’m no quitter. Don’t be too surprised to find me someday plucking out a tune during open-mike night in some little coffee shop. I’ll be as happy as a pig in sh*t, hope you enjoy the show!

Love! Norm.

3 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger Norm Shaw said...

I think Saturday will be good for us. I'll call to follow up. It'd be great if you got a guitar so that we could practice together. I'll bring mine this weekend.

Norm.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who,s coming with you besides your guitar? What are your plans for Labor day weekend. Would you like some company in Philly? Can't wait to hear you play.After a few lessons that is.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Norm Shaw said...

The kids will be coming with this weekend. Kimberly is scheduled to work, but is trying to get off as she hasn't seen you guys in a while. I'll give a call this evening to confirm all. Labor day would be great! Not much to hear on the guitar now, but it's also not offensive, just strumming my chords. Just started on single notes yesterday. I'll let you know when I start putting songs together...it would be great if Rick started too. Have him think about what work he'd like us to knock off this weekend.

Love! Norm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home